Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Marlen of Messages on a Napkin

Octoberblog653 Octoberblog078

Hey all! I'm Marlen (read it like the Monroe) and I blog over at Messages on a Napkin!  I have a penchant for anything vintage, grandpa-like, or thrifted, and if I had to describe my style I'd say color inspires me.  The more the better! I love to mix patterns on patterns, I always have about 12 layers on, and I like to see how colors play off each other in one look.

flocktogether flocktogether1


I also like to hunt for vintage and most of my finds are found at thrift stores and charity shops. I really like diving into a rack of holiday sweaters and boxy dresses with shoulder pads, and coming out with a pretty gem. Hard work pays off, after all ;)

Most of the time I prefer to look like I'm on my way to a red-and-white diner from the 50's, my hunnie's Letterman jacket draped over my shoulders and a Billie Holiday song on my lips. But if that can't happen, then I at least need a crazy mismatch of patterns on me.

flock

And a little bit about my personal self: I'm addicted to chocolate chip cookies and can't scramble an egg to save my life.  I've loved writing ever since I found out how to use a pencil, and right now am trying my hand at writing a book! I graduated college a year and a half ago with Communications and Philosophy and somehow got myself sucked into corporate America, and am living Office Space five days a week, four weeks a month.  I scare my bosses with my outfits, but hey, their shenanigans make for great stories ;)

flocktogethersmall-2

I'm excited to be a part of a group with such lovely, fun ladies and can't wait to share more of my style with you!


15 comments:

  1. Love that she isn't afraid of color or texture and pairing different patterns! I could definitely use some of her braveness when it comes to clothes. I am quite safe with my neutrals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your style Marlen, really looking forward to seeing your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just left your blog and hopped over here to see your post and of course I was greeted by such a lovely mix of photos again with awesome layering and color mixing! I have that little green polka dot cardi from Target too - I wear it all time and really love how you mixed it with the pussy bow blouse and little blue skirt here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice Blog!!!
    love your style
    followed you on GFC no 103
    hope you follow back
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray its Marlen! I love all of these so much, especially that last one (those shoes!)! Your print mixing and layering always blows me away. I love that your outfits scare your bosses, I live office space too and just moved into a new office where I get to shmooze higher up people in the company.. I am trying to slowly ease my style upon them.
    Can't wait to see your remixes!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely the vintage atmosphere!
    Following your lovely blog with GFC :)

    Corina
    www.cocorrina.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of these outfits so much! I wish I could pull off vintage as much as you do! Great blog!

    Hilary
    theyoungandthenaive.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice look cute blog I follow you and you can follow Kisses from mexico :)
    www.cropchuskeo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yaaay Marlen! I love her style. I don't know how she comes up with such amazing looks. :)

    -Haylie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marlen! I'm so excited you're part of the group! You seriously have the best thrifted/vintage stuff, I love all your layers and cute looks! Also you have an awesome personality and make me laugh often when I read your blog :)
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking fabulous in every single photo.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the comment! Love your blog, now following on GFC..follow back if you like :)
    The first 2 looks are my favorite!!
    -Kristine
    www.pugglewearsprada.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. fun to learn about you, marlen!
    i'm happy to see that you haven't
    let the corporate world stifle
    your creativity--i see lots of fun
    color combinations and prints in
    your outfits! ^_^

    erica | sweets + hearts

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looks! Love your style!

    http://www.thegaragestarlets.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hattitude Style Blog

    marlen you are so cute. i love love love all these photos. damn gurl you know how to style it up! my favourite is pattern on pattern

    talk soon wild child
    -Hattie
    Hattitude Style Blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...