Thursday, April 4, 2013

Once and Floral (Pun!)


 photo Feb341_zps07939a0c.jpg
Hey all, Marlen from Messages on a Napkin here!  As you know, I'm not one to shy away from hectic print-on-print looks, and one of my favorite patterns to play with is floral on floral.

I know when you play with prints it could sometimes be a fine line between creatively genius and oh-it-must-be-laundry-day status.  But I found that the trick in mixing two floral prints (after much embarrassing trial and error) is to keep one of the prints big and the other small. That way it creates some contrast and it's pleasing to the eye, rather than holy-cow-overwhelming.

In this look I'm wearing a daintily printed dress I borrowed from Katie over at Butterfly Love Snapdragons, and I kept the color scheme neutral by shrugging on a rose printed blazer and slipping into a dusky-colored pair of tights. And there you have it! A patterned outfit that's not too scary to try :)

 photo Feb338a_zps69996846.jpg  photo 62485bfa-835b-4915-8699-f4fd40776f31_zps5d0cd941.jpg

Dress- borrowed from Katie from Butterfly Love Snapdragons
Floral Blazer- for sale at my store, Bear and Twine, here
Tights- Target
Booties- Macys



                  photo style_zps8c8e012a.png

 photo jan2013392_zps8a7f47ee.jpg  
I styled the dress as a blouse under high-waisted jeans here


 photo katie_zpse1d20909.jpg
Katie kept true to the dress's vintage flair here and....
 photo katie1_zpsa3595559.jpg
...paired it with a pencil skirt here!

And if you want to see my other looks, come visit me at Messages on a Napkin! See you there :)

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely loving how you've clashed the two floral prints together, it looks lovely! : )
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is so absolutely stunning and I love your fun combination!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah! I LOVE this! I've never tried mixing prints with this dress...you've definitely inspired me :) The color mix is glorious and I love that the tights match the rose color in the blazer as well. Great tips for styling prints together too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, you mixed these prints right Marlen. I'm taking notes. Small print + large print = success! ;)

    Enter my international giveaway with StyleGodis here!
    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excuse me while I go out and copy this look asap! You know I am a HUGE floral fan, and I completely agree with the print size theory! Racking my brain for floral print I can mix with my secret santa blazer from you. hooray!
    Hopefully the snow from these pics is gone for you!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the boots in the first outfit! I love the last outfit too :) the boots are again really cool and I love the vintage feel!

    findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. that dress is so pretty and I love how you've both styled it in completely diff ways in both remixes. nice job stylin' ladies :)
    http://dusanabotswan.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the floral on floral!! inventive and fun. ^_^

    erica | sweets + hearts

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...