Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sail Away

 photo Feb347_zps8554e5b3.jpg
 photo Feb358_zps810073cc.jpg
Shirt: Forever 21
Collared Blouse: Thrifted

Skirt: Borrowed from Elana, Modcloth
Tights: Target
Tennis Shoes: H&M


Hello ladies! Marlen from Messages on a Napkin here, styling Elana's sailboat print skirt.  For whatever reason,
stripes seemed the only way to go for me with this skirt. Without realizing it, every time I wore
this I reached for something striped in my closet to pair it with.  This time I opted for a larger print, and
piled on the colors with blue, lilac, and mint.

 photo Feb359_zps5c7f890c.jpg

Last time I posted here I wore floral on floral, and I mentioned that when clashing prints it's best to
have one of the prints small and the other bigger. That way there's more contrast and balance in the
look.  Do you see how the thick stripes cool down the busy pattern of the skirt?

And if it weren't for the snow on the ground, I'd say this was a very Springy outfit :)
 photo Feb351_zpse9dc61be.jpg

 photo style_zps8c8e012a.png

 photo warm3_zps04a01853.jpg
Sweater- Vintage Gap for sale in my store HERE
Mint Bow- Etsy
Booties- Macy's

See how I styled the skirt HERE and....

 photo 4c0bec75-8880-439e-8411-065eb65c8fd2_zps8438e9f2.jpg

....how Elana styled it HERE!

And if you liked my outfits, come check out my blog, Messages on a Napkin!



9 comments:

  1. Oh, I love how your collar is peeking out from your sweater like it is, Marlen! You just look like a cute little sailor, and I'm digging the slight theme here. :) The contrast of the large stripes against the tiny sailboat print is so refreshing--never thought of it that way before, but it's an excellent idea. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, you used such an old picture of me in this outfit! I may replace it with a newer one for the Facebook haha. But anyway, I love this sweater with it! I definitely want to wear this with something blue next time I wear it. You look great in it both ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stripes do seem quite nautical! Love the look, Marlen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That such a great combination Marlen! I love how you always think outside of the box with colors and patterns. Hmm, thinking I may need to borrow Elana's pretty skirt once my baby bump is gone :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a lovely simple skirt, I adore the print on it!! And it looks so wonderful print mixed with the stripes :D
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  6. You all look fabulous. I have a pair of poofy shorts that this skirt reminds me of a lot!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mayyy need to put this skirt on my list, its adorable! I love it with the blue wide striped top, I feel like it has so much color mixing potential!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I the mix of colors and the sailboat prints, which are right up my alley- boats, not sailboats, that is. Such great print mixing, which I would like to try more of. -Jessica L

    ReplyDelete
  9. This skirt is super cute on both of you! Marlen I love the blue, lilac, and mint combo, so pretty! And I love that tip of having one print larger than the other, never thought of it that way!
    Jessi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...