Monday, July 8, 2013

Black and White

 photo JuneBlog207_zpsffba58d0.jpg photo JuneBlog204_zpsbf8b2fa7.jpg

Hello ladies, Marlen from Messages on a Napkin here! I don't think I've ever worn an outfit before that made me look like I was stuck in a black and white movie, but I LIKE it! If you scroll through my posts you usually see a borderline abrasive explosion of color, but when I received this dress from Marisa of The Shades of Monet Chronicles, I instantly knew I didn't want to mess with that monochromatic thang it's got going on.

So instead I went with my second love and piled on the patterns. One of my favorite things to do with dresses is to layer on a thick-strapped tank over them to give them some dimension, and I think the spaced-out polka dots look really fun against the tight checkers of the dress. This particular top is for sale in my store, Bear and Twine, and you can find it HERE. And can we talk about the details of this dress? Just check out the rigid collar and the flared sleeves. Le swoon.

 photo JuneBlog224_zps9d414ac2.jpg
 photo JuneBlog228_zpsbc6773cb.jpg photo JuneBlog198_zps8db57673.jpg
   photo Untitled_zps0cd89fe2.jpg
Marisa opted to leave the dress the center piece of the outfit (and who can blame her?), accessorizing with a sweet head wrap for some vintage flair, and slipping on some retro heels. She's the total master of sweet, retro looks! And she wore this outfit to her sister's wedding rehearsal, which I think makes this outfit even sweeter :)

Dress- borrowed from Marisa of The Shades of Monet Chronicles
Polka Dot top- for sale in my store, HERE
Vest- American Eagle
Sandals- H&M (old)

11 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the pattern play going on here, such a great combination. They look like they were meant to be together!! Love how you both styled it so perfectly
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never in a million years would've even thought to layer this dress but you nailed it (per usual w/ the layering). I love how you kept w/ black and white for the top over it & a touch of denim. great understated look!
    My blog: Cuddly Cacti
    My E-Shop: Mitla Moda

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO fun. I love that you layered it too. Never would have though of it, but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah love this semi retro look so cool!!

    Ali

    Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. You two are lookin so cute!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both ways it's been styled. I love how Marlen layers her outfits in a uniquely quirky way xx

    http://thecurvygirlinthecorner.blogspot.com

    P.S. Liked this post on Bloglovin :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress is just so adorable, I really love how both of you girls styled it so differently, but both so cute!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a very nice style, btw your prof pic is reminding me that you're lookin like Carle Rae Jepsen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great look and great background too <3

    www.brenda-lu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marlen I love this one! The pop of mint on the cuffs and bow is the perfect amount of color on this awesome neutral ensemble. The layering is just perfection (as always!) and I love that you threw in some denim and leather sandals too! Amazing.
    Jessi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...