Monday, May 26, 2014

They call me Mellow Yellow... quite rightly.


Hi there lovies! Things have been pretty hectic over here in my little corner of the world. Hectic in a good way though! I just got back from an amazing show (Pop Shop Houston) in H-Town that I participated in. I hitched a ride with my friends Bri of (The Good Hippie) along with her wifey Amanda and their wonderful baby girl Hannah (we all call her Banana). We both did well! It was so exciting, fun and down right exhausting meeting everyone. I sold a bunch and was also asked to consign with two well known boutiques (Cactus Music and Hello Lucky) in the area! I finally got to put some faces to names and made a lot of new connections. It was wonderful and am so glad that I pushed myself to do it. Right after I got home I drove right back into work 
(which is crocheting) and made some awesome new designs. My next BIG show is in August so I have a little while to build up some stock. I'm also doing a mini pop up show with my dear friend Jodi of Art Genius Austin. Jodi and I go way back and have been sharing a booth at First Thursday for quite some time. We haven't done it in awhile so it will be fun to jump back into it. Hopefully it won't be sweltering hot! 


I borrowed this lovely dress from Erica Leigh of Sweets and Hearts. I was immediately attracted to the mustard yellow color (my fav) and of course the adorable cut. I didn't put on too many layers or switch things up too much for this look. I appreciate layers but it's getting crazy hot in Austin already and I knew I wanted my legs bare and have the look be understated. 


I asked the Mister to take a few images of me with my favorite vintage camera because I have none. I have a HUGE collection at home but this particular one (Rolleicord) is special to me because it was my Grandfathers. It's from Germany and none of the apertures match up to any on my light meter... so you kinda have to guess what setting to put in on when taking pictures. Lol! It was my favorite camera to use in school. Not many people know this about me but I actually have a BFA in Still Based Media Studies (fancy title for photography). I went to a tiny art school called CCAD in the Midwest for four years and graduated in 2003 with my degree. My area of studies was "Alternative Processes" such as Van Dyke Browns, Cyanotype, and Platinum prints. I often used Medium format cameras 
(shown here) and Pin Hole cameras. I also have a love for Diana Cameras (plastic cameras) and all fun little toy cameras. 


I don't really get a chance to play around with my film cameras too much anymore. I don't have a darkroom and the cost of medium format film is rare and rather pricey. I do have a special little place in my heart for wet photography.... it'll always be there.


There are still some patches of wild flowers blooming around our neighborhood but things are starting to dry up and soon it will be the "Dog Days of Summer". I'm going to enjoy them as much as I can until they are all gone. Speaking of Summer I'm so excited that Dus of Cuddly Cacti has finally arrived here in Austin. We met up this past Memorial Day weekend and went "site seeing"with our Misters. We drove around and showed them our favorite spots in town and hit up Mount. Bonnell and ended up at Guerro's (one of our favorite restaurants). It was soooo much fun and such a pleasure to have finally gotten to meet them both. I'm sure this Summer will be filled with good times hanging out with them.


I decided to switch out the navy blue belt that came with Erica's dress and use one of my own. I had just purchased this bow belt from Target and it went perfectly with it. I wanted to keep all my accesories black. Black hat, black shoes and black belt. 




I also wanted to show off my bow earrings that matched the bow belt. I'm really into gold jewelry now. I used to be all about silver but gold has won over my heart. I got these delicate little stakable rings at XXI months ago and can't take them off! Okay.... I take them off to crochet and that's about it. I don't want them to get tangled up in yarn. Lol!


As this Month starts to wind down... I'll start June with a major celebration (my best friend's wedding) in Ohio and which I will be shooting! I'm nervous but am so happy for my dear friend to take the next HUGE step in her life and start her own family. I'm so happy to be a part of her "Special Day". It's going to be fun going home and seeing all my old friends and family. I've got a lot to look forward to this Summer! Well enough about me.... let's see how the other lovely ladies styled this fabulous dress shall we?

Dress: Borrowed from Erica
Shoes: XXI
Belt: Target
Hat: XXI
Rings: XXI
Earrings: Francessca's







Marlen of Messages on a Napkin styled it two different ways... she is the master of layering. See her posts here and here.


Last but not least is Ashley of Southern (California) Belle





8 comments:

  1. this is an awesome mustard frock, and y'all look great in it. Love the little apron style decorative sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a good idea for a post! lovely x

    http://gypsywardrobe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those photographs turned out so beautiful, I love each of them) The mustard dress is so chic as well, it looks so vintage and feminine, which is really great)!
    Wish you a great day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to see all the different ways this was styled. You look really good in this; it is so unique and distinctive in cut yet really fits you.

    Also, I found it kind of interesting that they called photography "still-based media" but it sounds like you enjoyed things a lot at your school :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks sweet ladies! I pretty much want Erica's whole wardrobe. Ha ha! I really wanted some good ones of me with my G-Pa's camera and I'm pretty pleased with the way they came out. Yay!
    xoxo
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is so cool! I didn't know you were a photgraphy major. the old camera really is awesome. i audited a photography class geeze... like 2 yrs ago by now and got a whole new appreciation for people who have the patience to develop film. I'd get frazzled just at trying to get the film out. it was SO fun to meet you & get so many laughs in, definitely the most since my move : ). thanks for treating us all around!! and you look gorgeous in this color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome you were a photography major! My husband has a lot of vintage cameras and mostly shoots with a medium format, I just don't have the patience for developing :) Very cool that was your grandpa's camera. Love how you styled this- such a pretty dress. Mustard is such a versatile color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah so neat Taylor! I would love to learn how to develop film and just have a vintage camera collection all together! Your grandpa's camera is sweet..and it's from Germany, even better :). Also loving this dress on you. The way you've styled it is so romantic and dreamy looking.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...